• Board Meeting Minutes
  • 09/26/2018
    26-09-2018

    Western Colorado Peace Officers Association – Board Meeting

    09-26-2018 0800- State Liquor Office

    Attending: Collin Reese, Rachelle Redmond, Brian Turner & Lisa Maestas                                                Absent: Vernon Knuckles, Tyer Tobias & Susan Skyberg

    October Training – Oct 17th & 18th Montrose

    • Static Vehicle Operations training, to date there are six registrations. Costs will be reimbursed for the instructor’s travel, car towing, and other expenses by WCPOA. Receipts required for reimbursement. Rachelle & Lisa will attend in the morning to provide information about WCPOA, recruitment for board members. Rachelle & Lisa will bring water, Gatorade for the day; will provide light snacks for the range. Rachelle will contact local restaurant’s in Montrose to have lunch catered to the range (suggested Jimmy John’s).

     Fall Conference

    • Too late for conference planning at this point, suggested looking ahead to 2019 start planning. Suggested board all bring back one idea to next meeting about possible training topic. We do not have to hold a fall business meeting per the by-laws.

     Spring Conference

    • Need to start planning Spring Conference. L. Maestas brought up the following course that the association received information on.
      • civilian response to active shooter program that includes identifying risk factors, run-hide-fight protocols, and hands-on scenarios to barricade and fight. We have developed it as a train the trainer program to get as many people on our school district on board
    • Reese asked if this is a Run, Hide, Fight curriculum, which would allow civilian employees to take part. If this course of instruction is decided on it was discussed whether the new range in Cameo would be a good venue for the conference location. L. Maestas will email the instructor and find out more details about the training. Looking at hosting the conference in April.
    • At the spring conference there will be two board positions that need filled (2nd vice presdent and 1st vice president). Recruitment was discussed by the board. R. Redmond advised we could ask the webmaster to put together a recruitment page for the website.   L. Maestas brought up WCPOA hosting a luncheon and inviting department admin to discuss WCPOA and the benefits of the organization. C. Reese suggested attending ALI and SWLEG to promote the association/recruit at those meetings. C. Reese and R. Redmond will contact the point persons for these meetings and see if board members can attend the next meetings.
    • Award recipients for the Spring also need to start being determined

    Other Training Suggestions for 2019:

                It was discussed by the board that we need to get some trainings scheduled for 2019, below are potential one day training topics.

    • Courtroom Testimony – R. Redmond advised the MED division is possibly interested in hosting this class, more for the admin hearing side. B. Turner stated he would talk to the AG’s office at his next meeting to bring it up. The board discussed hosting the criminal Courtroom Testimony training in the summer of 2019, as this is one of the most attended classes.
    • COVA – Human Trafficking / Vicarious Trauma – R. Redmond will follow up on this.
    • Emotional Intelligence – R. Redmond will follow up on this
    • Financial Planning – C. Reese advised they have some people in the CBI Denver office that could possibly instruct, will follow up.
    • Reese suggested looking to Aurora/Denver PD’s specialized units to look for trainers (ex. Denver Swat).

     Other Business:

    • New Website – Bailey has updated entire sight
    • To Include: Updating board member information, updating history, replace board member place holders with portrait or department
      emblems, load the upcoming conference and training information, fix Colorado Law Enforcement Memorial Brochure Button: URL not found, format desktop header photos, update broken URL links, run Wordpress and plugin updates, run file and database backups, replace blog with social media integration
    • Bailey is currently working on: Member database: allow member registration to cross reference membership database, backups: allows routine backups of database and files automatically, social media: allows the website to pull posts from Facebook and display automatically, card reader for registration at conferences: allow new members to pay with a card during registration, automation of renewal payments for membership. Managing social media post approval, posting news, events and other information to social media
    • Maestas requested that the web page be updated to reflect the webmaster to Verofly

    Meeting was adjourned at 0905

    Next Meeting: October 25th, 0800 @ CBI – Grand Junction