Western Colorado Peace Officers Association – Board Meeting
10-26-18 @0815 - CBI
Attending: Collin Reese - President, Rachelle Redmond – Immediate Past President, Susan Skyberg, Brian Turner – By-laws and Lisa Maestas – Secretary/Treasurer
Absent: Vern Knuckles – 1st Vice President, Tyler Tobias – Executive Secretary
October Training - Static Vehicle Operations
- Reported a total of 12 attendee’s, the cost of the training is still TBD, waiting on instructor invoices for fee’s, information will be sent to board upon final determination. The instructors will send out a survey to the class, L. Maestas will send the roster emails to the instructors. R. Redmond will get photos from the training to post on website.
- Conference Topic
- Civilian response to active shooter program that includes identifying risk factors, run-hide-fight protocols, and hands-on scenarios to barricade and fight. We have developed it as a train the trainer program to get as many people on our school district on board. L. Maestas will follow up with instructor.
- Conference Location – National Guard Building was suggested. L. Maestas will contact Lt. Col. Bratt for contact info for the building.
- Conference Dates – TBD by instructor availability
- Conference Costs – Free to current members - $50 for non-members
- Board Member recommendations, committee member L. Hood is speaking with several individuals on interest in board participation.
- Redmond will try to get the ALI meeting scheduled for January hosted by WCPOA in January.
- Awards – Need to start thinking of potential candidates
- Suggested an add-on to the training for Soft Skills for civilians (no hands on, C. Reese/B. Turner could instruct).
Other Training Suggestions for 2019:
Suggested that some dates/locations be set for upcoming trainings to be sent out with the President’s letter in January 2019.
- Courtroom Testimony – looking at May of 2019, held in Vail, CO. B. Turner will contact the local clerk to set up training location, and will also contact defense attorney/judge. L. Maestas will contact DA from Eagle County to check interest in participating. R. Redmond will contact Mt. Village municipal judge as well.
- COVA – Human Trafficking / Vicarious Trauma – R. Redmond will follow-up
- Emotional Intelligence – R. Redmond will follow-up
- Financial Planning – C. Reese will follow-up
- President’s letter - would like to have completed by December to have ready to send out with renewal letters in January.
- Renewal Letter – Will send email and hard copies, this letter will announce the future renewals will be automated and paper copies will no longer be received/payment will occur online. Use 2019 as a testing trial for the process.
- Working on membership to be on website – site will be down temporarily to implement this.
- Automated renewal – will start fully in 2020
- Ideas for membership drive
- Suggested to start “friending” other law enforcement agencies on the social media site.
- Glen Sherman’s 90th Birthday is Dec 1, suggested to send flowers and coordinate a FaceTime video, or record a video that can be sent to Glen.
- Former MCSO Undersheriff Rusty Callow passed away on Oct. 18, the association will send flowers to the family.
Meeting was adjourned at 0900
Next Meeting: November 29th, 1530